Saturday, December 18, 2010

Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn't mean that you have the power to run the rest of us. For twenty-three years, I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you! And now... well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!


A while back I watched the classic fantasy The Wizard of Oz which was made in 1939 and is 71 years old. The film stars Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale, a girl from Kansas who gets caught in a tornado on her Aunt's farm. You know the rest. Margret Hamilton plays The Wicked Witch of the West who is ranked number 4 on the American Film Institute's list of the 50 Best Movie Villains of All Time behind Vader.   I would agree with them. Over the Rainbow comes in at number one on AFI's 100 best songs and it is also the 3rd best musical and 6th best film in there list. Which I would also agree with. One of the cool things about the film is the switch from sepia tone on the farm to color in Oz. I also like the mattes in this film such as the Emerald City. Sadly mattes are no longer used in the film world. The Tin Man was originally played by Buddy Ebsen but during the  filming the aluminum powder makeup which he breathed in everyday had gotten to his lungs and he had to be hospitalized. He recovered but his part went to Jack Haley.   On top  is Ebsen as the Tin Man. After reading up on the film I learned that W.C. Fields was to play the wizard but he wanted too much money.  The part went to Frank Morgan. I don't think Fields would have been a good choice.

This is a classic film that will never grow old. Even after 71 years it is still watched by people all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment